suggested Tailor made holidays
THE OMO & THE GREAT RIFT VALLEY
|Nights stay at:
4 Arba Minch
Mago National Park
Discover an area of Ethiopia that is home to the great volcanic Rift Valley, a geographical feature that slashes Africa from the Red Sea to Mozambique. There are seven chains of lakes created by it that are habitats for a wide range of birds, indigenous animals, flowers and vegetation. Here you will also find the Omo Valley, an area which is unique as it is home to a melting pot of people, each with their own way of life.
It would be a fitting start to pay a visit to ‘Lucy’ in the National Museum, the 3-million-year old humanoid discovered in Ethiopia in 1974. Travel south into the Rift Valley, true Africa, and relax at Lake Awassa before continuing to Arba Minch, located in the foothills of the valley overlooking lakes Chamo and Abaya, in Bale Mountains National Park. From here visit one of the most beautiful game reserves, Nechisar National Park.
You are now entering a region only recently opened to visitors, the Omo Valley. Jinka
is the starting point, with its spectacular Saturday and Wednesday markets, before journeying into a region where women still wear animal skins for clothing and have huge lip plates. Overnight in Mago National Park, an area of dense acacia woodland and open savannah and keep a look out for lions and baboons.
Move on to Turmi, home to the Hamer people where the men have to jump cows in a traditional ceremony before they can come of age. The
women wear intricate hairstyles of ochre-coloured plaits and are particularly fond of beads and bracelets. Your final destination in the Omo is Yabello, home to a semi-nomadic people. Nearby is the El Sod Crater Lake, a very deep lake famous for its black salt which is still extracted and carried out by donkey. Reluctantly leave this unique region of Ethiopia and return to Addis Ababa, spending a well deserved night in the hot springs resort of Wondo Genet.
Cost per person from £1,459.00 (based on two people travelling in a twin/double room)
A Silk Steps inclusive holiday price includes:
• Private return transfers between airports and hotels (unless otherwise specified)
• The services of English speaking guides and representatives at each stage of the tour. Between most places you will travel unescorted
• Accommodation in a standard room (shared twin) with private facilities (unless otherwise specified) with breakfast
• Government taxes and compulsory service charges
• All tours and sightseeing as specified, inclusive of entrance fees
• Economy class air travel within all countries on the scheduled services of the national or domestic carrier as specified in each tour
• The services of our local representative
• International flights - please contact us for up-to-date prices
• Travel insurance
• Meals - unless otherwise stated
• Optional sightseeing other than specified
• International airport departure tax payable overseas
• Visa fees
• Single supplement (on request)